Want to eat healthier foods, but think they are going to wreak havoc with your budget?
Register dietician Angie Tillman from Blount Memorial Hospital has some affordable healthy foods that are heavy on nutrition but won't lighten your wallet.
- Oatmeal: 13 servings in a container, or.17 per serving.
- Bananas: .24 each
- Apples and Pears: $1.99/lb, or about a $1 each.
- Cabbage: .39/lb., or .16 per serving (try it grilled...drizzle slices with olive oil, wrap in foil and cook on grill)
- Sweet Potatoes: .99/lb or about .72 each.
- Dried Beans: .39 per pound or .10 a serving.
- Tuna: $1.79 a serving
- Eggs: .11 per egg
- Peanut butter (try with the banana, apple or pear!) .20 per serving
Other money saving tips: Buy the store brands or "generic" brands. The quality is as good as the name brands.